ABOUT UGII LAKE
Ugii Lake, also known as Ögii Lake or Ogiin Nuur, is a beautiful freshwater lake located in the Arkhangai province of central Mongolia. It is one of the largest lakes in the country and serves as a popular destination for both locals and tourists. Here are some key features and highlights of Ugii Lake:
- Scenic Beauty: Ugii Lake is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including rolling hills, grassy meadows, and desert-like terrains. The lake itself offers stunning views of its crystal-clear waters, especially during sunrise and sunset when the colors of the sky reflect on the surface. The tranquil and serene ambiance of the lake makes it a perfect spot for relaxation and nature appreciation.
- Birdwatching Haven: Ugii Lake is renowned for its rich birdlife, making it a paradise for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts. The lake and its surrounding wetlands attract numerous bird species, including migratory birds from Siberia and other parts of Asia. Birdwatchers can spot various species such as swans, geese, ducks, herons, and many others. The lake has been designated as an important area for bird conservation.
- Fishing Opportunities: Ugii Lake is a popular destination for fishing enthusiasts. The lake is known for its abundance of fish, including pike, perch, carp, and lenok. Visitors can engage in fishing activities either from the shore or by renting boats. It is a great way to enjoy the serene surroundings while trying to catch some fish.
- Water Sports and Activities: Ugii Lake offers opportunities for various water sports and recreational activities. Visitors can go boating, kayaking, or canoeing on the lake's calm waters, allowing them to explore the lake and enjoy the surrounding scenery. The lake's size and gentle winds make it suitable for sailing as well.
- Camping and Ger Camps: The shores of Ugii Lake provide camping areas where visitors can pitch tents and enjoy overnight stays amidst nature. Several ger camps (traditional Mongolian yurts) are also available for accommodation, offering a unique cultural experience. Staying in a ger camp allows visitors to immerse themselves in the local nomadic lifestyle and enjoy traditional Mongolian hospitality.
- Hiking and Nature Exploration: The area around Ugii Lake offers opportunities for hiking and nature exploration. There are hiking trails that lead to nearby hills, offering panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding landscapes. Visitors can also explore the nearby grasslands and observe the local flora and fauna.
- Cultural Heritage: Ugii Lake is situated in an area inhabited by nomadic herding communities. Visitors have the chance to experience their way of life, learn about their traditions, and participate in activities such as horseback riding and milking livestock. It's an opportunity to interact with local herders, witness their daily routines, and gain insights into the nomadic culture of Mongolia.
Ugii Lake, with its natural beauty, diverse birdlife, fishing opportunities, and cultural experiences, provides a tranquil and enjoyable getaway for nature lovers and those seeking a glimpse into Mongolia's nomadic lifestyle.